Thursday, February 19, 2015

Questioning Language and Understanding

Joel and I have a reaccuring conversation about this blog.  He says that my not spell checking is disrespect to the reader and interferes with my ability to communicate my message.  However I counter that I am trying to express myself authentically without the constant stare of the spell checker.  I am also trying to play with some of the themes around decolonializing language that I have seen some other writers playing with. 

Maybe I can't do that well between my learning disabilities and lack of formal knowledge in the areas of language but as much of the current conversation on indigenaity is happening is english, we are stuck with these building blocks to share our ideas while also recognizing that this is the language of the colonializer and that the ideas and history of this language can make it problematic/non neutral.

What do you think?  Joel challenged me that I am using the lack of spell checking like I use the fat to keep me safe from real diologue.  I thinkt it is a legitimate question but I don't think that I agree with him.  I think this in my authentic voice and it is not the same as someone elses.  Do you think that is just a cop out?  He said that cause I know better I gotta do better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment