Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The first post - Niwimohtan miyo mihkwaw mêskanaw.


I was going to call this blog Urban Indian, but after a google search and coming across this post by the writer Richard Wagamese, on the use of labels in general for Aboriginal people and the historical connotations of urbaness and indianess I decided instead to pay homage to Métis in Space.

I want to blog about my current preoccupations of reclaiming my indigenaity and of parenting, both of these experienced in the urban context. I see the threads of these conversations happening in so much of the great indigenous media being produced right now.  How do you walk a good red road, built so much on the relationship with the the natural world and lived community, in an urban environment that can be pretty hostile at times?


I want to track my path and remember how far I have already come for those days when I get focused on how far I haven't come.


I want to be part of all those conversations about what a good red road can look like reimagined.

Niwimohtan miyo mihkwaw mêskanaw. (I wish/want to walk the good red road)

No comments:

Post a Comment