Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Are you wearing enough elk teeth today?


I had been debating elk teeth for Sophie's first moon time dress and enjoying the beauty of the dresses...

Apsáalooke (Crow) circa 1890. Her husband was a good hunter. Only two Ivory Elk Teeth per animal!
Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian



photos-web-1.jpgBut then I came across this collection by b.yellowtail

"elements of sacred elk teeth transformed into contemporary prints, artisanal floral beadwork reawakened into gorgeous fabrics,
this season honors the power of the supreme feminine."

I am re-inspired to explore using these in dress design.

The same day I came across this elk teeth t-shirt by Sun Rose Iron Shell (Sicangu/Oglala Lakota)


Warrior Status Elk Tooth Tee by Sun Rose Iron Shell (Sicangu/Oglala Lakota) -  Beyond Buckskin BoutiqueThanks to all the sisters and brothers creating such wonderful things.  You are an inspiration to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment