Thursday, May 21, 2015

What is beautiful?

Last night we were looking at pictures of dresses by a young designer and Sophie asked me to stop.  She said that the girl made her feel bad as she was so skinny and tall and blond.  This made me sad and it made me feel proud that Sophie could recognize how it made her feel and ask me to move on.


Meet Madeline Stuart.
I did move on, to Buzzfeed for a look at a bunch of different beauties to remind her that beauty is all different and blond and tall isn't the only thing.  Now I will note these people are all white and I need to rectify this, but I showed her Madeline Stuart a model with downs syndrome looking fabulous and one of her looking normal and we talked about how makeup and clothes and lighting change how anyone looks.
We talked about Tess Munster looking amazing and lush even though she did not meet the mold of beautiful.

There is so much more I want to show her.  Old Navy has recently added a greater range of their models with beautiful women all sizes.  I want to show her Aydian Dowling a very handsome trans-man

I want her to know that beauty, male or female is perspective and just a part of what makes us who we are.  I also fell like I need to aware of my role as a role model at this time and to practice loving myself, even when that feels unnatural and weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment