Thursday, November 26, 2015

Ancestors and wise kookums (grandmothers)

Beatrice Ost from "Advanced Style"
I was going through old documents and pictures in order to develop richer pieces for our Ancestor alter that we bring out for celebrations.  It was good to find a use for all those cards and bits I had saved over the years.  I am also going to add little descriptions of things they liked or were noted for.  One colleague did a whole ancestors dinner and they ate only things that family members who had walked on loved.  I thought that was a great way to keep memories alive.  I am going to add favorite foods to the text as well.



Was reading a Buzzfeed article of "33 Beautiful And Hilarious Pieces Of Advice From Grandmas" and a couple caught my eye.


"Honey I never got anywhere without asking for it".  I see this so clearly with Sophie and Runa.  Sophie worries that she hasn't got what she wants while Runa just goes ahead, asks for it, has it and gets on with her life.


"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and go hang out with someone whose life gave them vodka."  It is always better when you find someone who complements your strengths and weaknesses.


I was also reading an article about a beauty pageant for Holocaust Survivors to give them a chance to experience things they could not in the past.  There was gentle reference that some people thought this might be sensationalism that objectified the elderly.  Can women ever be grown up enough that they can decide to do something and people aren't worried that they are being manipulated and don't know their own minds?  Check out Advanced Style and get your awesome on even if you aren't on the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment