Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Making things Wednesday - remind oursleves

The picture is from the beading R did on her moccasin.  She favoured the big heavy rocks for her work.  She loves her rocks. Little ones, big ones she carries them all home.  She even brought in the ones I put outside as they were too special to spend the winter in the snow.

It was interesting how organically the beading happened.  S wanted to show me some beading videos she found on Youtube and that inspired us all to work on our moccasins again.  S made a flower.  R put on rocks and I almost finished my other vamp.  Both girls were quite confident in taking up their needles again.  It was wonderful to watch someone more experienced and to learn from them - to share someone elses Kookum.  I find the four bead technique a lot easier than that with two needles and ten beads.

Every morning I try to tell the girls to find the centre of their circle - to position themselves in their medicine wheel and find a place of calmness and I remind them that their ancestors are around them and go with them and that they can draw strength from them.  The other morning S said "not all ancestors".  She rightly pointed out that one mooshum  solved a lot of problems with drugs and by shooting things.  Neither of which were good options for problem solving at school.  I love that they are thinking about these things and engaging with them.  It makes me very happy.  The little flames we are supporting in our families will hopefully be part of a much bigger flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment