Friday, March 13, 2015

Story Medicine - Slavoj Zizek

28 Totally Relatable Quotes About Books - BuzzFeed MobileYesterday I started reading Slavoj Zizek's book "Living in the End Times".  He is a Slovenian philosopher and he is chewy.  I got tired and turned to Youtube, partly to amuse myself, but also to be boring so the child would go to sleep.  My game of pay the mastercard was too exciting when it lead to trying to calculate the compound interest on our morgage and how long it would be until we paid it off.  I thought maybe philosopher's would do the trick.

I have been kind of down the past few weeks and trying to sort it all out for myself.  I have been trying to contextualize it all by reading" In An Unspoken Voice :How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness" by Levine, Peter A. and thinking about how I am storing my story in my body.  I am also continuing through "Up Ghost River" by Edmund Metatawabin a residential school memoir to keep things in context for myself.  But it was listning to a short clip by Zizek on post traumatic stress that pulled it all together for me.  He basically said that it is a privalage to be in a position to have post traumatic stress.  In many places people never get out of the everyday reality of trauma - never get the chance to begin healing.

That is helping me to think about these past few weeks in a different light.  I feel down and some of the memories hurt, but I am privalaged to be able to work through them.  I am privalaged that these things are in the past.  I am privalaged to have hope that this time won't last forever.  I am privalaged to have access to the story medicine of so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment