Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Micro Agressions

I came across the term "micro-agressions" yesterday in a Buzzfeed article.  As soon as I heard it I wondered why we didn't use this word all the time.  Wikipedia defines it "Microaggression is a form of unintended discrimination. It is depicted by the use of known social norms of behavior and/or expression that, while without conscious choice of the user, has the same effect as conscious, intended discrimination." I think of all those times that people make little comments that if you think about them a bit are uncomfortable but you mostly let pass.

I guess I am pretty behind as I just found both a New York Times and Time articles from last year on this issue and I found mention that this was "the new form of racism".  We need to keep up people.  Don't want to get behind in my racism.  These articles were both pretty patronizing and kind of came from the "now that there is now no overt racism...." which honestly people?????  That assumption comes from such a place of privalage that it kind of nulls the remainder of the arguments in these articles.

Given the lack of recognition of minority actors (see this buzzfeed piece), given that men still overwhelmingly own most of the land in the world, women and children make up most of the poor,  the deep levels of poverty of many of our aboriginal peoples and that in most professions women are still underpaid, adding in the high levels of violence against gay and trans-people, I think there is still plenty of conversations to be had.  ISMS seem to be alived.  That in the university context these biases are not longer glaring is great, that this diologue moves on is important.  That is a glimpse of a possible future.  It is a slow progress to open spaces and to have uncomfortable conversations.  This requires creating new languages and sensitivities.  I find it exciting and hopeful.

Speaking of indian poverty and challenges here is another indian rapper Shibastik scroll down his page and you can listen to his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment