Friday, March 20, 2015

Spring Break - Ceremony

This a James Micheals Bentwood Box I got Joel for Winter Solstice last year.

Our teaching was pretty basic yesterday.  The girls were at a play date until after 6 so everyone was tired when we got home.  We talked about ceremony - what it is and why it matters.  I had planned to upgrade our current talking stick, which is rather large and threatening, to something more approachable like this one from Classic Play or one inspired by threadwork on feathers like this work from powwow.com

Classic Play                           Powwow.com
Native American Talking Stick Art Projectthreadworktutorial13

We didn't get there.  People were too weird and tired.  But, we did have a good talk about ceremony which is what really matters right?

R raised funerals as a kind of ceremony and I raised marriage.  This made S really mad.  She sees marriage as a church institution and does not think that indians or metis should have anything to do with it given the history.  I will admit that I am not the most positive person about the church and we have talked about residential schools with the schools, but I was a little surprised how deeply she had taken that it and had applied it to other institutions that in recent history have been closely tied to the church like marriage.  This led to some discussion of ideas of marriage before and outside the chuch and I was thankful for the Kim Anderson summaries of the traditional ideas of Anishnabie and metis marriage.  I don't think that I convinced S, but it was a good conversation.  Then we watched tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment