Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Making things Wednesday - Modern Metis Stories

  Last week I planned to make more stories with the girls after we had talked about what modern metis stories would look like.  We had a great time thinking of silly situations for Petite Jean, Roogaroo and the Witigo in the modern context.  This was great as it made the girls think about what they knew about these characters across stories and extrapolate how they thought the characters would think in a new context.


Sophie made a story of Petite Jean as a cartoon.  He did not get up on time so the dog ate his porridge and then when he tried to make more porridge her set his butt on fire (classic Petite Jean) and then somehow it led to him blowing a lot of stuff up.  I am still working through what the learning is from that story, but it was pretty fun to see her work through it.


Runa did another story based on Terry Mack's book on the four animals and I did one based on the four directions book in the same series by Mack.  This book also had questions at the end which were good for continuing the conversation about the seasons.


I have a lot of craft planned or pinned rather, but sometimes finding things about Indians/metis that are appropriate are challenging.  What sources do you use in teaching children?  I would love to hear what has worked well for you.  As I try these things I will share my experiences in this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment