Thursday, April 2, 2015

Making things Wednesday - telling stories

R made us sit down the other night and write stories.  She seems to really like doing this together and having the stories to read later.  I wrote a story about sky pony and how he played with all his/her brothers and sisters in the sky, water and land.  I used the him/her trying to be gender neutral in the Cree way, but it annoyed the children.  I think learning french as their second language has made them particullarly uncomprimising on the idea of gender.

Thinking about our story making made me wonder what a modern story about petite jean or roogaroo would look like?  These stories are timeless and we continue to learn from them, but are there modern issues we need new stories for?   I am going to ask the girls this question and see what stories they come up with. What do you think? Who is your favourite traditional character?

No comments:

Post a Comment