Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Richard Wagamese - Story Medicine

I came across Richard Wagamese when I got his book "One Native Life" out of the library.  I didn't know that he was "a writer" at that point.  From the book I had the impression of a very humble man willing to share some of his story medicine.  These essays are conversations really.  His stories struck me as those modern additions we need to add to our story medicine shelves.  These short essays were great to read to the girls. 
My favorite was a story about a tv that would only work when in the exact middle of the room.  He describes all the places he tried and all the work to position the antenna just so, but that the tv would only work in the middle.  This story prompted a great conversation about what we keep in the middle of our lives/circle and how we know if they are the right things to keep there.  This was a pretty powerful metaphor for girls who love tv/computers.  I would recommend this book for both adults and children. 
The picture is a broach I made out a piece of Sophie's beading.  We were picking up pretty bits of things on our walks this weekend and I wanted to bring a bit of nature into the design.  I am very happy to see her taking up beads sometimes and creating things.

No comments:

Post a Comment