Monday, June 29, 2015

Marking the body

I got my first tattoo about four years ago after years of drawing on myself.  Joel would also draw on me as I found it eased my anxiety.  Especially when I had those repetitive questions but was too anxious to remember the answers it was helpful to have them spelled out and tactile.  I even recently found this shop on Etsy where the woman creates self care tattoos with kind words on them.  I have even used this technique with Sophie at times.  One day it occurred to me that if I liked drawing on myself so much then tattoos were probably a good idea.

My first five tattoos form my medicine wheel.  I will blog about those later, but today I wanted to share my recent tattoo.  It is inspired  by a piece of cave art from Chauvet from about 33,000 BCE.  Into the cracks of the walls I have Joel's words from one of my anxious days  U R OK.  I wanted to keep these, I like the play on words of "you are ok", "You rock" and "Ur rock".  I like that I will forever have his words on me.
Shaded image of a cave bear, with an incomplete outline of a second bear below.   Chauvet, 30,000-33,000 BCE

Shaded image of a cave bear, with an incomplete outline of a second bear below. Chauvet, 30,000-33,000 BCE
I really love having myself covered in portable art.  I love how it interplays with my skin tones.  How I carry my stories with me in a visible form.  This is my second bear.  Bear speaks to me with his times of quiet and times of action.  I feel like this is me.  I feel the move from rock to flesh is also a reminder to me of my work to better understand rocks.

The process of getting this tattoo was surreal for me as I worked with the tattoo artist using a picture from 35,000 years ago on rock given life on my arm.  How would that person who drew the picture so long ago feel to see the world I am in?  How would they feel to see someone work with the needles?  To see his/her art online - still remembered all these years later?  Who will I affect through my life and what will I leave behind?  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment